Thursday, May 30, 2013

Methodism and Other Traditions

When it comes to discussions of doctrine, Wesleyan works are no doubt placed at the head of most Methodist theology subsequent to Holy Scripture. Wesley's practical theology provides Methodist pietist roots with plenty of fodder for discourse. Wesley's Anglican roots provides Methodism with a rich historical development of dogma.  But often times Wesley's "methodism" lacks a certain attention to metaphysics (probably because of his historical situation and the epistemological philosophy of his day). But where we Methodist find Wesley lacking, turning to St. Thomas Aquinas is particularly helpful. Read in conjunction, a fairly wholistic theology emerges.
I say all this just to remind us that we Methodist would do well to reach beyond our own tradition and seek out a more eclectic theology from Christians who provided Wesley with his own thoughts. Often times when I am faced with a theological problem I turn to St. Thomas and Catholic sources.  
Let me give you an example. Wesley's Mariology is quite thin, that is to be expected but a few months ago I was doing some reading from scripture, preparing for sermons and concentrating upon the life of Mary. The issue of Immaculate Conception came up and I was wondering how it was that Mary was with/without original sin. The Methodist sources on this question were thin, but the rich text of St. Thomas Compendium were particularly helpful. I don't want to leave you in suspense, I was not questioning whether Mary was without original sin, but I was questioning how she was without original sin. Meaning: Was she born without it or was she granted a specific dispensation (St. Thomas said the latter, but Duns Scotus made the correction later).
Now you may be saying to yourself, "Who cares?" Well...I do. I think questions like these are fun and help train my mind to think about the things of God (which I always need help with). If we focus on theological questions we might just skip thinking about who is going to win American Idol (and come on, that has to be good). Now before I go into a rant and loose you (if I haven't already) let us return to Methodism.
It would be a grave error for us Methodist to believe that our "method" is solid and fully efficient to explain the intricacies of Christian theology. Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, an early 19th century theologian, wrote, "the true is the whole." The whole of Christian theology, every tradition past and present, presents us with a truer picture than one tradition can provide (I would even suggest that an non-theology can provide a measure of truth). What is my point? Don't not be a afraid, as a pastor or laity, to demand more theology from your church. More than one particular theological tradition. The richness of theological sources can provide a lifetime of thinking about the God we serve.

Mark

No comments: